Having 3 boys in my house, means, my pantry must be stocked at all times. Aside from having snacks and meals for the family, you never know when a guest might stop by, or who your husband might bring home ( I hate when they do that). Not to mention I love to entertain, so if people do stop by, I must have something yummy to serve them, even if it’s at the last minute. These items are my favorites, because each one is so versatile. Most of them are literally always on my grocery list, and I must have them on hand at all times.
Here are some of my favorite pantry staples?
Pearl’s Pantry Staples
- Fresh Bread Crumbs I use them for the obvious reasons, (breading protein and making meatballs), but I love to add bread crumbs to aglio e olio pasta (oil and garlic) for a little texture and crunch, giving that fast meal a little somethin somethin:)
- Artichoke Hearts Perfect addition to salads, pasta, chicken dishes, and dips.
- Rice Vinegar I use vinegar for quite a few things, in the past couple of years, rice vinegar has become my “go to” for all of its beneficial properties. Salads are my thing, so I must always have at least 2 bottles of rice vinegar on hand.
- Broth Doesn’t matter whether its veggie, chicken, or beef broth (I usually stock all three). Great for quick soups and easy sauces. If I have a protein, some veggies, and organic broth on hand, I have a meal.
- Jalapeno Slices These are on hand for me more than anything. I swear, I put them on everything. Eggs, burgers, tacos (duh), chicken, seriously everything. Love the vinegar taste and the slight kick that it gives my dishes.
- Matcha Green Tea Called “green tea on steroids” I love serving matcha tea, but there are also tons of recipes out there using matcha these days.
- Almonds A healthy fat that I can use for so many things. Replace the pine nuts in pesto, add to greek yogurt, pulvarize and use as a crust for fish, or chicken. Sometimes I just put them in a bowl for snacking.
- Super Stars Nothing fancy about this little treat. No preservatives, flavored with natural fruit, and are perfect when you need a quick treat for the kiddos.
- Lemon Juice In a perfect world, I would always have fresh lemons, however, this organic lemon juice is just as good. I use it for salad dressing, pasta, chicken dishes, sauces etc.
- Pound Cake Mix In a pinch and need a cake. A good box mix always does the job. I like to spruce this pound cake up with berries and whip cream. It’s super fast, extremely easy, and tastes delicious.
- Tuna Whether its regular tuna, or the Italian tuna in olive oil, I always have tuna in the house. When guest come over I can always whip up a great mediterranean tuna salad for lunch. This might be an Italian thing, but Italian tuna and pasta can be really tasty too.
- Crackers When I need a quick app, I just bust out some cheese and crackers. Not to mention my kids are obsessed with Club crackers and often eat them by the sleeve. For the rock crisps, I like to make a spread with goat cheese and apricot preserves, it goes wonderful with a crisp glass of sauvignon blanc, my fav!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil Needs absolutely no explanation. I use evoo in almost everything that I make. I love coconut oil too, but there is nothing better than GOOD extra virgin olive oil. If you happen to come across Greek olive oil, try it, it’s divine.
- Lentil Pasta A great pasta alternative. I use it the same way that I do regular pasta. Perfect for the gluten-free guest.
- Acacia Honey Use in salad dressings, tea, with cheese or on toast, in cocktails. My favorite is Heavenly Organics acacia honey.
- Sriracha Just one of those condiments that I use on just about everything. Use on sandwiches, soups, shrimp, marinades, eggs, salad dressings, cocktails, mix with ketchup or mayo. The possibilities are endless.
- Wasabi Peas A fun little snack that I like to have on hand when I’m looking to give my guests a little kick.
- Donkey Chips Made here right in Illinois, these are the best tortilla chips ever. Use them in chilaquiles for brunch, a delicious taco salad for the ladies who lunch, and they make the perfect dipper for a good homemade guacamole.
- San Marzano Tomatoes These bad boys are my savior. Make a quick pasta sauce, throw them on a homemade pizza, use them in soups. They are the perfect base for Italian cooking. Love and need them in my pantry always.
- DeCecco Pasta I always have pasta on hand in case I need to throw together a quick dish. DeCecco is a little more expensive, but it’s the best!!!
So what are your fun pantry staples? I would love to know:)
If you like what you’re reading, please share and follow me on Facebook and Instagram. Stay tuned for more posts, videos, and a couple of other surprises…coming soon!
It’s Finally Friday!
Copyright© 2014. Pearls To A Picnic. All Rights Reserved.